Pressure Cooker Squared

I’ve got until Sunday to cover 400 pages- midterms. [Insert scream here!]

Midterms (and finals) are always so much freaking pressure! I’m still at a B+ in Behavioral Neuroscience and a strong A in Cognitive Psychology, but any ole way you slice it- midterms are crazy. I find myself using straight up avoidance (which is actually worse than denial, because at least with denial, you’re not always aware that you’re in denial, but with avoidance, it’s sort of like knowing you’re in denial and choosing to do so anyway- and yes, I’m aware that I’m starting to sound like a psychologist!) and so it’s Friday night and I’m down to the wire.

What am I doing? Installing Still Life II. I actually get to be the detective and the abducted person who’s trapped in the psycho serial killer’s booby trap-laden house (think : “Saw”).

Avoidance. Utter, blatant avoidance.

But fun! 🙂

And this is for you, Gav. I know you’ve been down lately, and you’re not feeling much inspired, but I want you to know just how much you inspire me. I have so much respect for you because over the past 8 years or so that I’ve known you (originally from Redbubble) but here too these past few years, you go out – day after day- and shoot nothing but black and white/monochrome. Street scenes, people- life. And, you have a prominent talent with shadows and lighting- which I love. I’ve only shared this with one other person, but I’ve decided to devote an entire year- all of 2015- to solely black and white/monochromatic photography. No colour allowed! For an entire year. it’s going to be great. 🙂 So, while you feel “blah” lately, please know that your work and talent continues to inspire others. This is for you:

Semi-pano/old military factory in my town- Carl Zeiss Jena Flektogon 35/2.5 film- FRIGID COLD- love ya, buddy! x p.s. Congratz on your show/exhibition last month!
panoforGav

1. OMG. Thank you so very much.
    What an honour.

March 14, 2015 at 12:09 am

2. Yes. I’ve been rather unwell of late.
    Anxiety has taken over a big part of my daily life…..
    Thankfully I’m getting help, and I still have hope.

March 14, 2015 at 12:11 am

• I understand that fully. I used to be riddled with anxiety (daily) to the point that I’d developed agoraphobia and a heightened state of social anxiety, in general. Now, I’m slowly learning (in my studies) how to gradually make the changes from being “the patient” to being “the counselor”. I’ll be working on my Master’s to PhD (in Clinical Psychology) in another year and a half. These studies have literally saved my life. But, I remember VERY well what it’s like to be crippled by anxiety. It’s not easy to get a handle on, that’s for sure. I do understand.

March 14, 2015 at 1:35 am

• Thank you. I still get around, but with difficulty.

March 14, 2015 at 1:49 am

3. I love how we inspire each other. It makes all our efforts so worthwhile.
    You are awesome.
    Hugs, Gavin.

March 14, 2015 at 12:12 am

4. BTW….brilliant photo.

March 14, 2015 at 12:12 am

5. elmediat

May both of you soar. Talent, creativity and intelligence are too precious a commodity in this world where thuggery masquerades as religious conviction and anti-science medical quackery dresses itself up as independent thinking.

I know how the weight of the world and one’s own neurology can trip us up and slow us down – creative expression, if not heal, reduce the symptoms & fatigue.

All the best. 🙂

Will be watching the monochrome grow.

March 14, 2015 at 11:26 pm

• Aww, thanks so much! I appreciate your verbal vitamin B shot…heheh. x

March 14, 2015 at 11:52 pm

6. Reblogged this on Noir.

March 15, 2015 at 9:02 pm

7. what a nice supportive piece! Nice to see and read

March 17, 2015 at 4:02 pm

• Hey, thanks, Doc. :0) Gavin is a great photographer- black and white only- which is my cup o’ tea. ;0) Thanks for stopping by!

March 17, 2015 at 4:05 pm