Five Months Later…

I can hardly believe it’s been five months since I’ve been away. Where has the time gone?!

I’d like to say that I’ve been off doing great and honourable things since graduating from college back in May, alas; I’ve merely caught up on 300 crime shows and have picked up a nasty sugar addiction. I’m talking- waxing 3 bags of bubble gum in 4 hours- no kidding. SHAMEFUL.

But let’s not focus on that. 😉

Today is Christmas, and Josh and I are pulling another all-nighter. He’s at his computer station, and I at mine. He’s gaming, and I’m working on editing some pics for my new Etsy shop. I’ve wanted to open an Etsy shop for almost ten years now. At first, I didn’t have enough inventory, and quite frankly, I wasn’t up to the standard of photography that I was utterly pleased with- not enough to sell my work. (But that was 10 years ago.) And then “school happened”. Now, more than 20,000 pics are held hostage on more than 5 disk drives. I could dig through the heap and salvage years of work, or, I could start all over and create a whole new body of work: I’ve chosen to do the latter.

It might seem crazy to want to start all over- especially having spent the last decade developing my  personal style and techniques, but for me, my art does more than mark a time in my life. My pics/images tell stories. (You artists and photogs out there know what I mean.) I want the stories to reflect who I am at that time. I’m not the same person I was even five years ago. So, I want to start over. I feel like I’ve grown as a person and an artist, and so I want my pics to reflect that.

I’ve added a new TAB at the top of my page ^up there^- it’s my ETSY tab. Clicking on the pic there will go directly to my ETSY site where I’m offering my prints for sale. In the past, I wanted to sell prints for the generalized reason of “simply wanting to”. Now it’s a matter of being able to return to school or not. My school is withholding my transcript until I pay down the current balance, which is just under $1,300. I don’t have many options, and so I’ve decided to finally open my ETSY shop so that I can sell my work and pay down my school balance. I’m hoping to be able to do this by May of 2017 (4 months from now). That’s a pretty tall order, and once again, I’m racing against the clock. If I don’t do this now, I’ll have to take another 6 months to do it (which means I’d have to wait until January 2018 to return to school), but I really can’t afford to do that.

Once my transcript is released, I’ll be able to apply to Fort Hays University, where I’ll be working on my Master’s degree in Educational Psychology. A lot is riding on this! So, I have a heck of a motivator to get out and get some fresh shots 3 times per week. I’m aiming to add 300 pics or so to my ETSY collection over the next few months. In short, I’m going to be pretty busy. 😉

I’m looking forward to popping in to everyone’s place and seeing what you all have been up to. Sure have missed everyone and I hope everyone has a WONDERFUL CHRISTMAS! ♥

Etsy Shop: Monochromejunkie

etsy-collage

********************************************************************************

Second Etsy shop: Early Perfection

etsy-store

1. elmediat

All the best for Christmas and the New Year.
    Many thanks for visiting & supporting my blogs. 🙂

December 25, 2016 at 11:57 am

2. Hooray for the shop!
    And I must say I am so so so so SO GLAD to hear from you! I wish you the happiest of holidays and please don’t disappear again for 5 months! I will head to your shop and defo buy something. One thing. For now. While my husband is around and watching me like a hawk!
    HUGS ❤

December 25, 2016 at 1:52 pm

• Haha…that’s how husbands are! I’d recommend you buy something from Early Perfection- simply because, it’s far more economical than my shop with my photos. (The clay fridge foodie magnets are the cheapest things in there- their $10.) I’m getting ready to list some brand new mini-pies (clay magnets) that are made from bottle caps- they’re absolutely adorable. Give me a day or two and I’ll have those up. They’re $10 also. None of us are financially “comfortable”, so it means a lot to me that you can do that. but know this: if you’re not able to- I’ll understand just the same. 😉 And sorry for going MIA for almost half a year! I hadn’t realized just how compressed I’d become from school, and by the time I had begun to Decompress…months had gone by! Anywho, thanks again, O, and it’s really good seeing you again. 🙂

December 27, 2016 at 2:46 am

• Hey, you know, as a growing person, I learned where I am economically unstable. I realized a lot of people are friends because of money and favors. I refuse a world like that. For my peoples, people I choose and love and just feel something, there is no being unstable. because my money is your money anyways!
        I just hate the way the money thing works. Lets say I want to send you 50 euros. Taxes and shiz takes about 30 of it, for nothing… It is just annoying because it feels like something + somebody is not letting me be “out there” for people I care about.
        The pie magnets sound awesome. I am crazy about pie!
        But yeah, I have been thinking of ways how I can help you reach your school goal. I am not creative on the money making front much, unfortunately, but I want to help. So this is what I thought of: how about I send you my portfolio? And you can, if you like something in it, offer it as a homemade print or something else (myself I wanted to wire frame small prints, to look like a steampunk version of those art nouvou pendants that look like white chocolate!), and this way, if something gets sold, I will feel like I contributed to your goal, which is what I really want to do!
        And trust me, none buys my stuff around here and it would cost me too much to ship anything abroad myself, and thus earn money which I can later spend on your shop anyways 😀

December 27, 2016 at 6:20 am

• Oh O…you’re far too generous. Wow. While I’d love to take you up on your incredible offer, I’m not sure I’d have the time to put any of that together. Let me say though, that you’re without a doubt, THE most talented writer/poetess I’ve had the pleasure of reading. Also, if anybody’s work gels with my own, it’s yours. 😉 I have roughly 6 to 8 weeks to get my body of work together, and then another 6-12 weeks to try and sell something substantial- well, enough to make a difference regarding school. But hey- I DO have a backup plan. 😉 After paying the rent and my cable/phone/internet- I have roughly $250 that I use for monthly stuff, which will now go toward paying down my school bill. It’ll leave me with a whopping $20 per month afterwards, but it’ll only be 5 months of hell- financially speaking. The trade-off will be that when I begin my Master’s (in August of 2017)- I’ll be able to tap into a bit of my school funds, so the pressure will be off and I’ll be in a good place for the next few years. And Josh is willing to help do what he can too. Anywho, I can’t thank you enough, seriously. Your heart is SO big and I can’t tell you enough just how much I appreciate you. 🙂 I’ll be sure to upload those pies in a bit. 😉 x

December 27, 2016 at 3:58 pm

3. ‘300 crime shows’
    wow.
    sounds like you have been very busy.
    all the best with ETSY.
    going over to look now.
    Cheers, Gavin.

December 25, 2016 at 9:26 pm

4. Nice to see you back again.

December 26, 2016 at 9:35 am